• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Punch Cancelled Affect Note Value?

3 posts in this topic

I am asking this question in reference to some 1964 Congo Democratic Republic 1000 Franc Notes - P8 - in XF condition.

The notes are nice XF but punch cancelled. The catalog lists these in VF at $50 and Unc at $200. No mention is made of any values for punch cancelled notes. An ebay seller has a punch cancelled Congo Democratic Republic note of this date and type listed at $99. I believe his price reflects the VF20 value x 2 = the XF40 price.

Would the fact these notes are punch cancelled be a reason to discount value and if so how much? If these were your notes how would you price them?

A punched cancelled note is worth way below what a non cancelled note is worth. 50% or more depending on the cancellation. However there are exceptions...... some notes are not or rarely available in an uncancelled note. If I were you unless it is an extremely rare note I would leave it alone.

I myself have a note of this type still available.

The punch cancelled notes of the type you mentioned are almost always encountered in UNC condition.

The value oscillates between US$5 and US$50 per note over the years that I have been following the item, tending towards the middle of the range.

You will be able to find this note from time-to-time on EBay, especially some of the European sites.