• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your Favorite Currency/Reference Book?

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

My name is Jay and I'm a researcher here at PMG. In case you forget either my name or my title just look at my name :)

A little about the job: not only do I see cool notes, but I get to research them and track information down about them. This includes searching through books. This is something that actually excites me. I find it fascinating.

Yes, our library is rather large. However, it could always be bigger.

The question I pose is simple... What's your favorite book on currency? This could be a reference book, novel, informational, or otherwise.

I'll start. (A very hard choice for me). Currently my favorite book is Les Billetes de la Banque de l'Indochine by M. Kolsky & M. Muszynski. It's in both English and French for most of the book, and the parts that aren't can be easily translated through a web translator such as this one. It has just a ton of information for the Bank of Indo-Chine.

If you're interested in checking it out go here.

Neither PMG, CCG Nor JaytheResearcher are getting any compensation, monetarily or otherwise for the promotion of the above book

Lettow: A great book with loads of information in it.

For those of you unfamiliar with the book it's written by Fred Schwan and Joseph Boling with the complete title being World War II Remembered: History in Your Hands, a Numismatic Study. A absolute complete work of all things numismatic during the Second World War.

There is an excellent book "Dutch Banknote Design 1814-2002" by Jaap Bolten that I highly recommend if you are interested in the history of Netherlands paper money.

A Dutch friend helped me obtain a copy and while it is expensive it is worth every penny. The photos alone are worth the price of admission.

http://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Banknote-Design-1814-2002-A-Compendium/dp/9080478423

Holy Goodness! That's one expensive book. One seller is trying to get $4000+ for a used copy. The cheapest is about $175 used. I believe you HiHo the book is published by the Nederlandsche Bank themselves so it must be top notch quality.

For those not wanting to pay $177 for a used copy, you could always go here and pay €75 plus shipping... which turns out $101.89 + shipping for a new edition. Okay, so this might be a wash after shipping fees.

This book will definitely be on my Christmas list :)

Small world! I just got done interviewing a content contributor to that book. Angus Bruce.

There were probably 100+ contributors to WW2R. If they ever get around to finishing the second edition (which Fred has been promising since I saw the "final" draft in 2008) there will likely be 300 contributors listed.

It's really interesting though when the contributor was there! Angus was with the Army Corps of Engineers during the D-Day invasion and was one of the first to cross the Rhein river later on. He was also the Head Librarian when the International Banknote Society had its library here in Hemet, CA. His collection of MPC's is amazing!