• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

currency grading companies

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the reputation of CGA since they were taken over by new managemant? I have these 2 silver certs I had them certify and I am trying to unload them however I am being told these notes are treated as AU at best without even seeing them. Just wondering in case I need to possibly do a crossover. Thanks for any help

141683.jpg.76b51724f0594450433f3ccc943b3b68.jpg

Apparently they have cleaned up their act; the last group that ran the business was not that reputable, but since the "star" CGA changeover, they have apparently been doing reasonable work. But why go that route when you have PMG as well as PCGS currency, which you can get material graded at for $20 or so a note in under 40 business days at this point? Those unaware of the old CGA only need to do a google search to turn up the story about how collectors lost huge money buying their overgraded material.

Apparently they have cleaned up their act; the last group that ran the business was not that reputable, but since the "star" CGA changeover, they have apparently been doing reasonable work. But why go that route when you have PMG as well as PCGS currency, which you can get material graded at for $20 or so a note in under 40 business days at this point? Those unaware of the old CGA only need to do a google search to turn up the story about how collectors lost huge money buying their overgraded material.

Agree.

I have notes graded by them and though the grades seem to be fair I still have noticed negative stigma attached to them. They do seem to sell for less as with the notes I purchased and I think I will do a crossover on a few of mine as well. Regardless of whether or not their grading is up to par the stigma remains.

On the old CGA, my understanding was that the loose grading that caused them problems were the notes where calling AU58s or XF40s several grades higher made a few dealers or customers happy for a while and then when the critical analysis kicked in, ie folds in MS notes, there was no good recourse for the owners as grading is just an opinion, don't you know?

I have bought and sold a few CGA notes that were pretty close, better than raw, and with high resolution scans hopefully buyers can make their own judgments. Both CGA notes were little better than break even for me, the seller saw the notes for what they were and the two customers I sold the notes to saw them for what they were. But I have seen grossly overgraded CGA notes in dealer cases at shows. Their choice is to either sell them as is or have them regraded.