• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total Newbie Question...

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, let me first start by saying I know nothing about coins or money, I'm a comic book guy, but I found a bunch of paper money inside an old comic the other day, and I thought I'd ask the experts. I don't have pictures of all of it right now because I'm at work, all I can provide is a stock picture from the internet, but I have several of each: the 1,5,10,50 bills of this:

5_Lire_Italian_AMC_Allied_Military_Currency_1943_Series_A_zpsdb6adb57.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!

Currency used (pay -script issued by the military to soldiers)by our armed forces in occupied Europe Italy in this case. It was issued to help keep down the black market that U.S. dollars would encourage.

Allied Military Currency was issued as an occupation currency to compel the occupied country to bear the cost of the occupation. Allied troops were paid in AMC and requisitions by the Allies were paid for in AMC.

AMC was not designed to curb the black market. Military Payment Certificates were used for that purpose.

Thanks for the responses! Pretty cool I guess. So are all of them worth about the same? The 1 Lire, 10 Lire, 50 Lire, and 100 Lire?

No, they are not worth the same. Without seeing the condition of the notes it is almost impossible to give a value,

Thanks for the responses! Pretty cool I guess. So are all of them worth about the same? The 1 Lire, 10 Lire, 50 Lire, and 100 Lire?

the price i suggested was for the piece you posted a pic of, in this specific condition/denomination.

the other denominations are different. aren't the 50 and 100 bigger and rectangular rather than small & square? i can't say for sure but i think they are

the price i suggested was for the piece you posted a pic of, in this specific condition/denomination.

the other denominations are different. aren't the 50 and 100 bigger and rectangular rather than small & square? i can't say for sure but i think they are

Yes they are, not much bigger though. I'll try to post some scans when I get a chance. Thanks for your help!