• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When to retire a note?

4 posts in this topic

I realize that there are some notes that simply do not exist in high grades. There are other notes, however, that have plenty of high grade specimens around. When should a note be spent or otherwise redeemed at face value? For example,

D16510283A-obverse_Small.JPG

D16510283A-reverse_Small.JPG

It appears that the above note is worth face value, and barely that. Since there are plenty of high quality 1976 series $2, it seems that there is no point in this note being saved. In 100 years, say, will it really be worth more than face value with so many pristine specimens locked up already? And with inflation, the buying power will be less in 100 years.

Sure, as I said, some old, low quality notes are worth a lot more than face value. But for most of those it is because nobody saved them. They are some of the only examples known to exist. The 1976 series $2 had almost 600 million notes printed. I'm guessing well over 10 million high quality notes were immediately put away in vaults and safes.

My thoughts are that I should spend or deposit this note. Maybe offer it on eBay... Any other thoughts?

I'm sure you could put a buy it now on ebay for $6.00 and see what happens, although if you want to waste time making a listing, then shipping it once sold (if it ever sells) than go for it... or you could just spend it. It's worth $2 now and in 100 years won't be worth that much more. That is if your family will hold on to it for 100 years, it could be spent long before the century mark ever comes around. Now if it was only stamp cancelled...

The problem is that these are still widely available at face value making them harder to sell for any premium. I bought $20 worth from the bank a few weeks ago just to spend and I got plenty of 1976 notes that were a lot nicer than this one, even a Minneapolis issue that I did put away just because they are a little harder to find, but I have no expectation of ever getting more than face for it!