• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cofederate Money Question

10 posts in this topic

Is it's composition real thin normally? Thin and composed of a similar type of paper that the fractional notes were?

Or is it a greater chance that this is printed from someones computer?

Confed001.JPG

Thanks.

That is a genuine note, on that one the best way to tell until you become familiar is to look at the signatures. All notes were hand signed with iron gall ink at the time of use it was black but over the years the ink oxidizes and turns brown.

The fifty cent was printed by Halpin and archer who printed postage stamps and not currency. These are the only notes that have printed signatures and they will be black. The paper on both the 63 and 64 issue will be pink and a slightly different type from the other notes. Most of the Confederate notes were printed on thin paper a few were printed on bond paper but the fibers were too short and when the note was folded it broke, and there fore a lot of these notes are scarce. The most famous on is the liberty shield and eagle note which had the same printing as the indian princess note the rarest of them all.

wheat

Jim that is exactly what I thought that paper was. Rice Paper. My wife was certain that it was fake because the lines in the way it was cut was not even and the paper was thin. I explained to here that they printed and cut paper currency back then much differently than they do now.

I think she believes it is authentic now since I showed her some example notes known to be authentic and the advice given here. So that means I get to buy more as I can. :grin:

Thanks for the advice.

Jim that is exactly what I thought that paper was. Rice Paper. My wife was certain that it was fake because the lines in the way it was cut was not even and the paper was thin. I explained to here that they printed and cut paper currency back then much differently than they do now.

I think she believes it is authentic now since I showed her some example notes known to be authentic and the advice given here. So that means I get to buy more as I can. :grin:

Thanks for the advice.

all of them were printed extremely close together to save paper. Most paper was imported from England and was expensive, and The notes were then cut by hand. Did you know that most of the notes were signed by women while the men were in the army.You can find US fractional currency with a CS water mark, because it was printed on captured paper.

Back in the day when stamps were highly collected (1970s) one could purchase a watermark fluid that would reveal watermarks on stamps when put in the fluid. Don't know if this is appropriate for these, but just a thought.

Back in the day when stamps were highly collected (1970s) one could purchase a watermark fluid that would reveal watermarks on stamps when put in the fluid. Don't know if this is appropriate for these, but just a thought.

Not necessary, just hold up to the light