• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bonds? What are these if anyone could tell me please.

9 posts in this topic

What are these and are they very common and/or worthless or worth not much? I was thinking they might be some kind of bond but I didn't know if they were genuine or some sort of novelty copy. They are only about 2.5" x 1.5" .... so they are actually very small.

DSCN3125.JPG

DSCN3134.JPG

DSCN3129.JPG

DSCN3132.JPG

I hope this was the right place to ask. Thanks.

They are interest payment coupons clipped off a state bond. They are worth $4-$5 ea. Most of them were thrown away after the war. Just noticed that these coupons are from reconstruction era bonds issued after the war, they are how ever still interest payment coupons clipped from the bond

wheat

Sure thing. I was more interested in just making sure they looked to be genuine and I gathered from the response that they are quite common and that would really be a waste of time counterfeiting something with little value and not in high demand.

But I love history so these cool little things will stay with me and maybe I will look for an entire sheet one day. I think that is when they get expensive.

Sure thing. I was more interested in just making sure they looked to be genuine and I gathered from the response that they are quite common and that would really be a waste of time counterfeiting something with little value and not in high demand.

But I love history so these cool little things will stay with me and maybe I will look for an entire sheet one day. I think that is when they get expensive.

They do not come in sheets. They are printed on the bottom of a bond (check out confederate bonds for sale) on the bottom of each bond you will see these coupons. Usually there are 2 for each year (interest was paid every six months). When the due date came the holder would take the bond to the local depository or designated receiving location, where the clerk there would cut off the appropriate coupon, and pay the holder cash in the amount of the interest due. This was done every six months until all the coupons were gone, and then on the next due date the original cost of the bond was received and the bond retired.

Oh. Well thanks for that info and I will look for it on eBay using your description.

I have seen some kind of Chinese Bonds selling for huge amounts of money and they come in sheets so I naturally assumed these did too.

Thanks.

It depends on your interpretation of "sheets". These are typically attached to a large bond, and the coupons (with different dates on each) are attached to the bond, so considered together they can be considered a "sheet". The individual coupons will each bear a different due date.

Hope that helps.

Yes.

I might find some interest in some individual ones that I have. I just need to list them on my site and see if they draw any interest.

I have been doing all I can to get away from eBay and setting up the store listed below was part of that transition. But if you want to sell something fast then eBay is the way to go. For now anyway.

Thanks