• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On-Line price guide

9 posts in this topic

Friedberg and Kelly look like high retail in general though in the latter case, since it has been years since last published on nationals, rare notes may be underpriced. Greensheet and current auction records are the best indicators. Though I have found with HA that when you look at archives it immediately skips over a bunch of years, so you basically have to adjust the search engine so you get the information you need.

Greensheet is wholesale and unless you have a market presence or set up at a show it is very tough to buy at these prices even then. I consider it no more than a wish list in reality. In addition the prices are for the common issues of that FB number (like the 1950 $100 FRN's for instance). For National Bank Notes you will need the Kelly Book and a working knowledge as to how the NBN dealers price their merchandise (the ads in BNR are a good reference for this). The prices in the Kelly Book are for fine only and I regard these as essentially wholesale. Certifies Notes in Gem CU can bring really strong prices on the bourse.

The Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money (published by Krause) is my first recommendation as to a Paper Money Price Guide along to a subscription to Bank Note Reporter which has values and ads from dealers where you can see what your area of interest is selling for. I also buy the Paper Money of the United States book by Friedberg. I consider these sources the most accurate in terms of determining market value.

There is not to my knowledge an online source for paper money prices (like the NGC and Collectors Universe Price Guides for Coins). I know Coin World tries to put out a paper money price guide but no one IMO can match Krause in Paper money pricing expertise.

Pricing paper money is not like coins and takes some serious homework like with Nationals for instance.