• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$20 Star Note

12 posts in this topic

So, as you guys probably know already, I'm not a paper money kinda guy. I usually stay exclusively in the hard-money world.

Today at the ATM, I withdrew some funds. Buried in the stack of fresh, crisp $20 bills was a Star note - which looks to my untrained eye to be in excellent condition.

So my question is - are these rare? I hear people talking about star notes, but don't really know much about them. How much of a premium would be associated with this bill? Any info you can suggest will be appreciated.

I collect star notes I find in circulation - anything between $1 and $100. I put the in an envelope in my safe and I take them to the the "big" coin show in the area every year and spend them!

It's just an excuse to put aside some extra cash for the hobby. It works for me because everyone in the house believes "If it's in the safe it's gotta be worth something---DON'T TOUCH IT!"

I just joined this board today and I can't believe the bad advice being offered to collectors here. Most star notes are collectable, unless they are in horrible shape. Certain years, series and runs are excessively rare, even current ones. Since you did not state the year or serial number there is no way to offer any advice... good or bad. Uncirculated star notes are always worth more than face. So I would ignore all of the postings above and do your research before you go and spend them.

I always look through my atm notes for stars and cool serials, just for fun. I found a particularly nice one and thought I would put on ebay and see what happened. Sold for $22. Buyer paid the shipping so by the time ebay took its cut I broke even minus all my time. But it sure was fun. I now generally just keep them and have 4 in my album because I cant seem to spend them even though any $20 star note from an atm is currently worth $20. Good luck and have fun.

I just joined this board today and I can't believe the bad advice being offered to collectors here. Most star notes are collectable, unless they are in horrible shape. Certain years, series and runs are excessively rare, even current ones. Since you did not state the year or serial number there is no way to offer any advice... good or bad. Uncirculated star notes are always worth more than face. So I would ignore all of the postings above and do your research before you go and spend them.

as a new member on the board, i really think you should think before posting here with that attitude. who the #$%^& do you think you are, advising to the OP that he should "ignore all the postings above"?

as I took a couple minutes to look at the rest of your five posts.. I now understand you have a serious problem and i won't even bother answering to your belittling comments..

here some of your wisdom:

"As I have stated about the comments before about star notes in this forum....

Ignore Them. The comments sound like dealers who do not want to tell you a true

value thinking they might be able to buy something on the cheap."

"Collectors rarely see a two digit note plucked from circulation.

A 2 digit star is rarer than hens teeth ... even in the condition yours is in.

...I wouldn't waste my time or money with a grading service though,

especially considering the condition this one is in.

They, I believe, will charge you a fee based on what they think the

note is worth. It's too their advantage to tell you it's extremely valuable.

They then made their money and you may never recoup what you put into it."

that is pure made-up BULL$#!T first say the note is rarer than hen's teeth even in this condition, then say the condition is not good enough to submit to grading, and then MAKE UP FACTS about grading companies charging a fee based on what they think the note is worth..?? dude do you understand how ridiculous that sound, and do you realize you're posting on chatboards that are HOSTED BY A GRADING COMPANY??

another gem:

" If you want my opinion grading is a racket designed by dealers to take your money. "

we do not need this kind of new members here

as a new member on the board, i really think you should think before posting here with that attitude. who the #$%^& do you think you are, advising to the OP that he should "ignore all the postings above"?

as I took a couple minutes to look at the rest of your five posts.. I now understand you have a serious problem and i won't even bother answering to your belittling comments..

here some of your wisdom:

"As I have stated about the comments before about star notes in this forum....

Ignore Them. The comments sound like dealers who do not want to tell you a true

value thinking they might be able to buy something on the cheap."

"Collectors rarely see a two digit note plucked from circulation.

A 2 digit star is rarer than hens teeth ... even in the condition yours is in.

...I wouldn't waste my time or money with a grading service though,

especially considering the condition this one is in.

They, I believe, will charge you a fee based on what they think the

note is worth. It's too their advantage to tell you it's extremely valuable.

They then made their money and you may never recoup what you put into it."

that is pure made-up BULL$#!T first say the note is rarer than hen's teeth even in this condition, then say the condition is not good enough to submit to grading, and then MAKE UP FACTS about grading companies charging a fee based on what they think the note is worth..?? dude do you understand how ridiculous that sound, and do you realize you're posting on chatboards that are HOSTED BY A GRADING COMPANY??

another gem:

" If you want my opinion grading is a racket designed by dealers to take your money. "

we do not need this kind of new members here

Yes I know who hosts this site. Exactly why I said what I said and I stand by every last word and period. Perhaps NGC should set aside a "Free Speech Zone" for the truth they don't like to see. Perhaps you can email your overlords and suggest that. And I hope you have a wonderful time cashing the checks they send you for posting their propaganda.

So, as you guys probably know already, I'm not a paper money kinda guy. I usually stay exclusively in the hard-money world.

Today at the ATM, I withdrew some funds. Buried in the stack of fresh, crisp $20 bills was a Star note - which looks to my untrained eye to be in excellent condition.

So my question is - are these rare? I hear people talking about star notes, but don't really know much about them. How much of a premium would be associated with this bill? Any info you can suggest will be appreciated.

I've pondered responding for some time now and decided to just go for it! Number one from your NGC Registry sets and number of posts it's quite obvious you are NOT a newbie when it come to collecting; my congratulations on your NGC sets. As for paper money perhaps you are a newbie but when you said "usually stay exclusively" it got me thinking that perhaps you were considering paper money collecting as a satellite venture, I do hope so. Maybe the $20 star will be the impetus for you to begin a collection of $20 star notes, one from each of the twelve Federal Reserve districts, who knows? This supposed to be a FUN venture so let it remain so for you as you consider paper money. Most of us are more than willing to share "opinions" and experiences and mostly with just good intentions in mind. So read everything, study as you will and make an informed decision on your own. You mentioned hearing others talk about paper money, well talk to them I'm sure they'll be happy to give you advice, etc.

Don't be discouraged at all, think about paper money and good luck with your NGC registry set completions. Just my two cents:

Ooops, forgot the photo

2cents_NH_zpsoxbpi2kk.jpg

In my limited experience star notes will trade at a premium, but it may take years for that to happen. They can be relatively common when first issued, but then as they circulate and are destroyed populations will diminish and result in increased values. As an example, just last year I bought a pack of 100 brand new series 2009 $1 stars from my bank for face, and although I might try to sell them at a premium, that is not my expectation. I also have some original 1976 $2 star notes I got at face in the 1980s that are now worth a modest premium, perhaps $8-10 each, but it's taken 30+ years to achieve. I also have some series 1935E $1 silver certificate consecutive star notes and after only 60+ years they are maybe worth $7-10 each. Then you can look at some of the large size stars in recent auctions and after a century they have some nice premiums over their non-star counterparts, but it takes time.

So generally, people prefer star notes to regular notes, it's just a question on whether they are willing to pay a premium for them.