• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Coin & Currency Set - Odd Notes? High Or Low Serial Numbers?

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

From what I understand the recent US Mint sales report has confirmed the production of the Making American History Set beyond the 50K initial production heading towards the 100k limit. I have recently confirmed that notes with a serial number higher than 50k were being sold from the Mint back in August which makes you wonder if they would have stopped at the initial production limit of 50k as on the US Mint website. Anyhow, I had been reviewing sales of the notes from the set out there on the market and noticed something with the serial number on these notes. The lowest serial number I could find out there was at about 15008500 and the highest at about 50k more at 15058500. I know it maybe just coincidence of a 50k difference and I'm sure there must be more but I hit a wall not seeing numbers lower or higher as of late. So I thought it might be fun to make a post where maybe someone who has a odd serial number (like 15002012), an error note or is the leader with lowest/highest numbered note out there can realize and share it. So if your above or below those serial numbers mentioned above or got a odd ball note then please do post about it. You may have a winner note that someone would be willing to pay you more as the product sells out.

Thought I'd revisit and add a interesting point I've still notice going on with this series. It's about 3 months later from last Mint sales report of 50k sold and the latest I saw is 55k sets are sold with these Coin and Currency sets. Yet, in the past three months since December of going 5K over 50K in sales I've have yet to notice anyone on Ebay listing any new sets above or below the 50k serial number span I mentioned in the above post. My recent Mint order is still showing serial numbers in the same 50k range as mentioned of being between 15008500 and 15058500. Why the discrepancy? Wonder if the Mint is not doing a second 50k batch that would run the product total to 100k by serial numbers?? Anyone out there got any thought or ideas they like to share? Bad Mint sales reports by not including returns set numbers maybe?? Maybe some type of private sales? Anyhow, I thought it was interesting and odd as time and things updated more. Thanks for any replies.

Ok, Just saw a 15070276 on ebay pop up. So there not a hope out there that this set being stopped at 50k issued. :( Seemed like maybe they were not going into a new territory in serial numbers as everything was staying within a 50k range. Interesting though how prices have held up. Seems the 67 grades have shoot up in prices. The 68 grades are holding steady in price and becoming a little more plentiful at 55 graded. The 69 grade seems to be elusive and pricey though. I was fortunate months back to get access to buy one of the last pmg 69 sold on ebay. Haven't seen the 69 grade population grow any past 19 since October and almost all pmg 69 grades were graded at the beginning in August and September it seems. Maybe PMG will grade us more and we could see a error note or something unique in this series to surface by someone later. I'd love to see a unique serial number after the 150 to maybe add to my collection if it were offered.