• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VJ-Day (Minus 1) Sep 1, 1945, Tokyo Bay Cancelled Bill

11 posts in this topic

All of the VJ stamped notes i've seen are all on $1 Hawaii bills. I have recoreded 10 of them in my own personal census. This is the first note i've seen with these stamps that are not on a Hawaii bill. Chances are that a sailor just had this note in his pocket and had it stamped at the same time the Hawaii notes were being stamped. It doesn't have the same type of historical value as the Hawaii notes would have but it has value due to the stamps being on something other than the Hawaii note. The condition is pretty bad but won't make a huge difference to the right person as this note is unique with the stamps. As far as value is concerned its very hard to put a value on this type of note. Without the stamps its worth very little over face value due to the condition of the note. With the stamps its worth more than that but i'm not sure how much. The price range on the Hawaii notes with these stamps have been from $8 up too $520.

If your planning on selling it i'm interested at the right price. If so send me a private message and we'll see if we can work something out.

If not and you have more questions that I might be able to help out with i'll try my best.

Do you happen to know where that note is now? I'd love to see a pic of it and be able to add the serial number to my census. hm

I have no Idea where that note is now. The last time I saw it was when I was a kid. Along with that note, there was 2 Hawaii $5s and a north Africa $10. My father died about 18 years ago and all that stuff is some where at my mothers house. She is 85 and i know she would not know where to look. Some time in the future I'll look for them all.

wheat

My best guess, and it is just a guess, is that it was just a note that some sailor had in his pocket that got it stamped in the naval post office. Just like the regular Sept 2nd Hawaii notes only a day earlier. I think the stamps that they used could just be rolled backward and forward a digit at a time so it could be set to any date of the year. It could possibly have been stamped at the same post office aboard the Missouri where the Hawaii notes all seemed to be stamped from but it would be impossible to determine. Without the stamps it is just another beat up $2 bill. But with the stamps it is at the least an interesting conversation piece. I have not seen another one like it, nor have I read on any of the message boards or elsewhere anything about a note like this. There could probably be more like it out there on any denomination with a naval cancellation stamp of any date. What makes ths one interesting is that its stamped the day before the Hawaii notes and that it isn't a Hawaii note. I would have to assume that the collector base out there for this particular note would most likely be pretty small as the collector base for the Hawaii VJ stamped notes is pretty small as well.

While I've seen a few Hawaii $1 notes stamped this is the first stamped $2 note which I have seen.

"My father who was a Pearl Harbor suvivor and was also in tokyo Bay at the surrender had one of these notes"; Wheat, I imagine your father was one of a very small number of people that had witnessed both the beginning and end, from Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay.