• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981A $20.00 note that I got out of a local bank ATM

10 posts in this topic

I usually post over in the coins forums, but a thread I started there about change I got from the bar, got the thread to drift towards paper money more than coins.

A few months ago, I got this nice bill out of a local bank's ATM. I rarely see any bills older than 2003 so this was a nice one to get. Condition wise, I am even more suprised.

198120obv.jpg

198120.jpg

Thoughts?

-Dave

great condition too

I usually post over in the coins forums, but a thread I started there about change I got from the bar, got the thread to drift towards paper money more than coins.

A few months ago, I got this nice bill out of a local bank's ATM. I rarely see any bills older than 2003 so this was a nice one to get. Condition wise, I am even more suprised.

198120obv.jpg

198120.jpg

Thoughts?

-Dave

Prob. not much over $20 - stains on the reverse along with a red ink stain in the bottom margin that shows up on both sides.

Pretty much a lucky 1981A note that is still floating around. Funny no counterfeit pen ink marks, usually old notes like these are suspect at retail stores when the 16 year old behind the counter whips out the black pen to check the note.

Prob. not much over $20 - stains on the reverse along with a red ink stain in the bottom margin that shows up on both sides.

Pretty much a lucky 1981A note that is still floating around. Funny no counterfeit pen ink marks, usually old notes like these are suspect at retail stores when the 16 year old behind the counter whips out the black pen to check the note.

On the reverse, those are stains are just smudges on the plastic protector. The red ink stain I think is from a counterfeit test marker but I'm not sure.

I showed it to a dealer/friend and he said he thinks that someone kept the bill from the 1980's and now they ended up having to spend it. He might be right. My grandfather has many crisp unc. $5, $10, $20, $50 dollar bills from the 1960's-1980's. He would put them in plastic rap then in a small cash box type safe.

I just wish he took better care with the coins he had :) .

I wonder what those bills are worth now and how many he has. hm

-Dave

I'm sorry to be the one to say this but too put it bluntly its worth $20. There really isn't any collector value there, its not a star note, no special serial number, the condition isn't any good because of the ink mark and there are most likely packs upon packs stashed away of gem quality notes like this one floating around out there that people haven't had graded because it would have been a common note and not worth the grading fees. I'd spend it personally, but whatever floats your boat. :)

ZES- the value doesn't really matter to me at all. What do you mean the condition isn't any good?? The red ink is the only issue with the bill, other than that its in great cond. I also wouldn't get it graded anyway nor would I spend it.

-Dave

The red ink is enough to mean the condition isn't any good. What is the point of keeping it? Keeping that note is the equivelant of reaching into your pocket and pulling out a shiny modern day penny that has no value other than a cent and keeping it. There isn't much point. Of course its your bill so you should do what you want with it obviously. Just keep in mind that you could use that $20 to buy something a little bit more interesting such as a $1 Hawaii emergency note or something of the sort. :)