• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Right or Wrong way to collect?

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there was a right way or a wrong way to collect? I Seem to go after the things that talk to me, something that catches my eye and whispers "buy me!", Don't care about signatures, serials or even condition (i mean, i can't be too messed up)... it's like art to me, i don't care if it has value or not.

Like, i have a fascination with bills that has red in them (maybe that's due to the fact i love red)... like red seals and i want to collect every currency that has anything red in them, i want them all!!! lol

Just wondering if anyone is like this or is it just me?

I am not sure if your question is serious about right vs. wrong, but you could make an argument for both.

It is definitely right in that you are buying what you like! However, I used to collect like that. About 18 months in I realized that I was burnt out. The problem is that you end up not having a focus and you never know when you are finished. Often times you also end up having a hodgepodge that is not going to appeal to a single collector. So you can really take in the shorts when it comes time to sell.

IMO , there are no rules on collecting. collect what you like. i like how you dont care about the values. thats a true collector. those that collect stuff thats only worth alot are flippers and resellers, not collectors.

I somewhat agree with ant, but I don't beleive all are flippers that buy expensive coins. Some people have the funds to be able to purchase high value coins and still do that for thier collection. Some people buy with the hopes of resale when it comes time to retire. Sort of like a savings acct. Some buy to pass down to generations. I say buy what you like, but also I think a goal should still be sought to have an idea of where your collection is going. Jmo

The idea that a collection could be finished turns the hobby into a quest or obsession. There are always different varieties, errors or even related items that can expand a collection far beyond what was the original intent. If you don't add a new piece to your collection and then spend the next several days annoying your significant other about what a great addition you have made, then you just might be done collecting.