• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Coin & Currency set...

7 posts in this topic

Hey All!

I don't collect paper. Well, yes I do, but I spend it. :)

There's been a couple of anomalies on the bay, where the JL 150XXXXX D note sold for more than $50.

What are these notes worth?

I'm guessing, unless it's a repeater or radar, five dollars.

Would someone like to confirm this?

Thanks!

I've been reviewing the direction of the 2012 coin and currency set. It maybe that those notes are becoming desirable for alot of silver eagle collectors out there and they are currently driving up the price for the best ones because of the S proof connection by this coin and currency product. I think when the US mint releases the final total mintages for the 2012 S silver eagles from the returned plagued San Fran eagle set being way below the estimated 250k along with this coin and currency set limiting S silver eagle proof production to 50k or possibly 100k at most is going to make people realize just how rare these S minted eagles in 2012 are. The totals will very well be under 350k making it one of the rarest proof eagles next to the 1995 W and prices will jump. From my understanding they are not going to keep going forward with making S minted silver eagles to the same extent as they have done for a while which may make the vast amount of silver eagle collectors want this coin and currency set including a ultra rare high grade note. It will be interesting to watch how PMG grades new notes and ebay sells them in the next few months as the mint pulls the plug on the product which they are at about 46k sold in the last mint sales report. Those Suburb Gems notes from the Coin and Currency set continue to sell higher and higher in price on ebay. The 69 grade been going for over $550+, 68 grade for about $250 and 67s about $70. These high graded notes are rare compared to the typical 65 or 66 grades going under $50. Ironically, the phrase from the set packing of "Making American History 2012" may very well be true with the mint and collectors.

I'm having a hard time seeing why anyone would pay that high of a $ price for a "current" high grade modern non-star. Did they see the population report for the 69's - high based on the %? Granted it is from a set, but really...

I almost got sucked in to the bid frenzy for one of the PMG 69 $5 FRN's from the C&C set last month, but changed my mind and bought some older high grade currency w/ lower population numbers.

Yeah, I agree they got a higher percentage population for 69s compared to other types of graded notes but that's not what I think is making them continue to escalate in price. I'm thinking this note is in a different market circle than other maybe rarer notes because of a S silver eagle proof connection and this can potentially be relatable in market value than other notes. When you think about how many silver eagle collectors are out there and if this low mintage S proof connected set becomes even more desired, then potentially a related missing note to complete the set can foster up a big demand by the vast market of silver eagle collectors. Will so many not care about having the best with both items in the set? If the Mint doesn't make another S proof for a while and mintages remain low then it will multiply the situation. The 19 or so PMG 69 notes are going to be tough to acquire in that market circle. If you Ebay search for "PMG 69" or "Coin Currency EPQ" that drops out there on the auction market you'll see how typically the general average trend for top grades moving mostly higher than prior sales. I've seen these notes to be a rising investment as of now and I don't believe it would become less unless they made or graded way more. If anything it's a trend to keep an eye on if your thinking about what you'd might get for the note. :)