• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting to organize my note collection.

3 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm starting to actually catalog and organize my note collection. Ive mostly bought notes off of ebay from bulk purchases where for example someone put up a listing of about 40 notes from around the world but with no descriptions etc and I got them all for about 7$US. I have a stack of various zimbabwe notes and collections of other random ones. I have some mixtures of non 'cash' notes like what I think are the equivolent of bonds from russia coming and the like. (I collect when I think things look cool and I thought it was kinda neat the design etc.)

My first plan is to put everything that will fit properly in the standard large note sleeves for US currency so they can be handled easier. I plan on photographing them for a personal database because I hate my scanner lol.

Then I plan on going through them and trying to identify everything based on any alphanumerics i can google and the like. I will probably post the ones I cant identify here since I have heard you guys have fun helping people identify them hehe.

My question after all this babble though is this:

How do you 'catalog' a large collection of notes when you dont know what order you are getting them in?

I was thinking about developing a basic code like the 3 letter currency code, followed by the denomination and currency and then an alpha if I have more then to tell them different. Then just print this on a nice sticker on the outside of the holder.

Does that make sense?

Ive collected other things in the past and I know if you stick to a system too soon thats badly designed it can be a royal pain to convert later.

How do you guys do it?

I wanna stay away from just 0001 0002 0003 0004 etc.. cuz then it just gets stupid looking stuff up in databases. Atleast with the ISO currency code and denomination I can sort the database and run down it easy enough.

Thanks for any advice!

I was thinking about developing a basic code like the 3 letter currency code, followed by the denomination and currency and then an alpha if I have more then to tell them different. Then just print this on a nice sticker on the outside of the holder.

I think you have a great way to start. As you advance you may work your way into a highly advanced system of cataloging like mine:

Step 1:

Fill the safe until it is full.

Step 2:

Stack on your desk until you are unsure the desk is still there.

Step 3:

Stack on your dresser until your better half yells at you!

It's awesome! Try it! well, only if you like sleeping on the couch! lol