• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washed notes

8 posts in this topic

the colors will appear duller than an "as issued" note, the paper may not be as crisp as it should be and it will appear "well, just washed"

wheat

However, if done properly on an AU/CU note it can be difficult if not impossible to tell.

the colors will appear duller than an "as issued" note, the paper may not be as crisp as it should be and it will appear "well, just washed"

wheat

However, if done properly on an AU/CU note it can be difficult if not impossible to tell.

You are correct on that. having been a currency collector for many years, I did not that into account for a new collector thanks for the additional info

wheat

It can depend on what was used to wash the note. Water will make the fibers expand where pure acetone will not. For PVC removal acetone is the only way to go that I've heard of.

This is the "BEFORE" scan of a $100 note with a teller stamp. Notice how dark the black portions of the note are.

scan0386.jpg

This is the "AFTER" scan of the same $100 note. Notice that the teller stamp is gone, but the black portions of the note are lighter.

scan0011-9.jpg

It's the same note scanned by the same scanner, and same background.

This is an AU example.

I am looking forward to a conservation service for notes. I just wouldn't want to take the chance working with acetone on notes personally. You can be sure that both PMG and NCS know how to identify all inappropriate treatments of notes and will not holder them as if they were as good as untreated notes.