• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Set of 1896 Educational notes!

3 posts in this topic

I am looking to put together a full set of all three denominations of the 1896 Education notes.

I am starting with the $1 note. I found a nice one on eBay at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180881940473?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

This is a raw note that looks to be in AU condition. Should I submit for grading seperately or wait until I have the full set together?

Is it worth doing the Buy it Now insteaad of the auctionas to not risk losing out on winning it?

Any recommendations on putting the $2 and $5 notes together and is there any added value of having them as a set???

Thank You!

-Dylan

I would say, IF that note is an XF45, you are looking at a $900-$1,100 note already in a TPG holder. I definitely wouldn't use the BIN, and if you aren't overly familiar with grading (the scans aren't that big on the listing), I'd be very cautious and see if anyone knows the seller first.

Unfortunately, it is very common for pricey raw notes on eBay to be notes that have been "doctored" to make folds less prominent, remove stains, etc. Not only does this potentially do things like scuff the paper surface and add a distinct odor, but it will also cause the note to lose the cherished "PPQ/EPQ" notation from the grading companies.

Anyway, if you are comfortable in your ability to assess the notes grade on eBay, that's great. But, I use a great deal of caution buying any ungraded note from there (i.e. I typically pass, unless it's an obvious low grade (or CHEAP!) note, being sold as such).

Good luck in your quest!

It's a matter of risk vs reward. From my own experiences, I have had better luck buying notes on Ebay that graded as purchased when submitted to PMG than I have had with buying them raw from dealers.

The ones from dealers graded significantly lower than represented ( two VF's and an XF instead of AU as represented by all) while the ones I purchased on Ebay graded spot on (AU+).