• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post marked $1 Hawaii notes

35 posts in this topic

Agreed, the majority of sailors did not have a lot of cash to tie up in souvenir currency and sailors were the only people that had access to them. The odds of a sailor coming from a wealthy family and being there are slim, possible but slim.

I'd love to see someone from PMG chime in here and tell us why they wouldn't/couldn't grade your example. I've got a few notes i'd like to send in and have graded, one of them being my new VJ note. This may be the determining factor in deciding which grading company I choose to get a membership through. I have never sent notes in to be graded but if PMG won't grade a VJ note then i'll probably end up giving by business to the company accross the street unfortunatly. I like the PMG slabs more but if they won't grade the notes I send them what other choice will I have.

I was a bit disappointed they sent it back ungraded; the only explanation is shown in the picture of the note. There is a little slip of paper that has other checked and someone wrote ineligible type for the reason. I spent a lot of money having notes crossed over and lost thousands on notes that were 66PPQ but came back 58 so the registry sets have me in the red. I'm hoping this was just a mistake but I will not be able to find out until I can travel again. I can take both notes with me and ask about it at a show.

I've said it before, because of the history I value the VJ notes as much as another block.

Hello from a newbie,                                                                    I have three of the $1 denomination bills. One is postmarked Sept 1,1945 and two are postmarked Sept 2, 1945. They are from my dad and according to his journal he left Saipan Aug 22, 1945 and arrived Tokyo Bay on Sept 1 and his ship left on Sept 3rd.  I cannot seem to find much on these bills with the postmarks.  Sept 1 bill is postmarked Tokyo Bay, and the Sept 2 bills are postmarked VJ Day / Tokyo Bay.   Old thread but is it still of interest, I know I’m curious about these notes.