• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Currency/Coins

7 posts in this topic

New to all this.The guys on the coin boards have helped me out alot as far as buying the wrong things.I have some a little over good and some well circulated confederate currency a couple of 1899 black Eagle and 3 1923 $1.00 Horse Blankets.What is a good currency for me to look at thats looks nice yet not to much.(75.00 or so) Or should i stay with coins.

Thank You

Mike

again you are limiting your budget here also. If you like Confederate you can get some very pleasing issues of 1862, 1863 and 1864 at your price range but they will all be as common as pig tracks. I said this on your coin choices also, slow down. Dont be in such a hurry every thing you want in your price ranges will be there tomorrow just like they were today. Go to some shows , watch some auctions. You can even watch Heritage live on your computer. In stead of using the shotgun approach and just go after every thing, educate yourself on the items of interest to you, as well as the market. More over enjoy yourself and the hobby you have begun.

To piggyback, find a target that interests you the most and stick to it. I made the mistake of trying to collect everything I seen and wasted alot of money in the process. If I would have concentrated my efforts on one type of coin/currency, I would have a great collection by now. Today, I sit on a vast collection of everything and I show it no attention anymore. I have since narrowed my sights on Morgans (my origional sweetheart) and Im building everyday. I can only imagine what my Morgan collection would look like had I not bought everything under the sun (Dansco Albums, Silver Eagles, Type Coins, Pres Dollar rolls, Westward Nickels, Prestige Sets, Premier Sets, Mint Sets, Proof Sets, ect ect..).

Welcome to the forums. You may want to ask yourself if you would rather have fewer items at higher price points or more items at lower price points. Let me suggest the former, but it's really a matter of your goal(s).

It seems that many people including myself started collecting paper currency without any direction or focus. At first it's like a kid in a candy shop, I liked everything. The good thing you have going for you now is that you are not jumping in spending big bucks.

Take your time and check out different forums, go to Heritage archives and if you can, try going to a few shows. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and after awhile you may find a particular type of currency that appeals to you more than the other types. There are so many varieties of currency from the U.S. alone and then there is world currency.

It's easier said than done but look at as many types as you can so you can find a type that has the most appeal to you. As long as you're doing this as a hobby there is no wrong type, it's for your enjoyment.