• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold certificate issue - 1904-1905

7 posts in this topic

Yes, your perception is correct...... You are necessarily speaking of the series 1882 Gold Certificates with the signature combination of Lyons/Roberts printed in '04-'05...... The $5, $20, $50, $100, $500, and $1000 gold notes were issued in large multiples of previous years...... I don't know the reason, but I'll bet that you do. :)

Yeah, I sorta figured that it was coin related..... What kind of details are you looking for? My knowledge and resources are limited, so most of what I might know is based upon the excellent Archives research of others, but I will be happy to share what has been shared with me.

As much as you have on the issue of 1882 Gold Certs in 1904 and/or unusually large issues of gold certs up to about 1917....OK, that's a lot of stuff, but it relates to why the mints produced a lot gold in some years and not in others. Eagles and double eagles were not the best export vehicles for gold - merchants wanted bars. Coin had to be made to back paper money.

Unlike coins, US paper money is normally accounted for by series rather than calendar year, however, the info that you seek can more than likely be extrapolated from serial number data. I will PM you to put you in touch with the guy who is the census man for large size notes, and if anyone can provide an annual account, it would be him. He is ATS, but I will put you in touch.