• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post an interesting note

28 posts in this topic

On Dec. 12, 1935 there was a fire at the Treasury Dept. in Washington, DC. A burning box of these was thrown by the fire dept. onto the street accounting for the only survivors as all other were destroyed. They were cancelled and not legal tender -- imagine the disappointment of those who gathered them from the street!

10000_a.jpg

FTCP100.jpg

Forgive my ingorance, do you have background on this note? I am guessing it is some sort of WWII occupation note?

During the occupation of Japan and Germany, entry into the countries was tightly controlled by the military governments. Business travelers had to have permission of the military government. They stayed in approved hotels, rode approved taxis and trains and could only visit approved restaurants, etc.

In Japan business travelers were required to convert their money into Foreign Trade Payment Certificates which could only be used in the approved places. In Germany, the trade organization set up by the western governments was the Joint Export Import Agency (JEIA). JEIA Travelers Coupons denominated in Reichsmarks (pre-1948 Currency Reform) and Deutschemarks (post Currency Reform) were used.

Both FTPC and JEIA Travelers Coupons are scarce.

Let's get this topic some activity! Here is an error note that you don't see everyday....unfortunately you probably can not see it from the scan, but the description on the PMG holder says it all.

100errorobv.jpg

I'm not really into collecting special currency serial numbers or things like that and did not even know I had this till another collector brought it my attention. I guess it what's called a "radar" number. The dealer I got it from a few years ago never mentioned it to me, in fact I don't think he even noticed it. It's different and nice but I did not pay any more for it than what a 1918 $ 1.00 FRBN is worth in the condition it's in.

Bill Collector

123680.jpg.4de496c3edcb1d7c8923836a7d4bc3c3.jpg

Great piece Steve! It's really a nice bonus that they printed the pamphlets on the same paper.

Not exactly. The paper is "another product" of that company.

I see. Thanks for pointing that out. The small red and blue disks in the pamphlet paper do remind me of some security features seen in MPC, too.