• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FRNs in a box

8 posts in this topic

I know only a little about coins and exponentially less about paper money....I inherited a coin collection which isn't all coin. It turns out that my grandmother also collect some bills that at least she felt were collectable. The problem is she folded and rolled them up and in one case put a paper clip on the bill which rusted and has left a nice rusty stained outline of the paper clip on the bill. I am wondering if using an iron to flatten the bills is a bad idea? I know with coinage just about anything you do to a coin is a bad idea, and I am guessing the same may be true of bank notes?

Thanks.... I figured it was a bad idea.

I called my local coin shop and asked they guy there the same question and he told me to "just leave them alone". Then I told him what the bills were and apparently they are common enough that they are worth all of 25 cents over face value.... oh well, there goes my dreams of buying my own island in the South Pacific somewhere...

If you want to describe them (PM me if you wish) I will be happy to confirm whether or not they are worth 25 cents over face. There are some rare notes that may not be readily identified by a phone call, probably unlikely but you never know.

Ok, well I am not sure how well I will do at a description, but here it goes:

One of the $1 notes is a Series 1963 B, and has a L seal on the face with four 12's located around the inside fram of the note. It's serial number is L 87016183F

The other $1 note is exactly the same series and seal, but it's seral number is L 86271516F

I was going to just scan them and display them that way, but I wasn't sure if that is a no-no with notes or not.... coins is no big deal since it's hard to go the the store and spend a picture of a coin.....

The other $1 note is a series 1963 A, it has a K seal and four 11's scattered around the four inside corners of the note. It's serial number is K 55471583 A.

My grandmother had a note with this one that says she thought it was a "Kennedy" note.... I did a quick search on the net and seems to be some sort of conspiracy theory that these notes were printed in Dallas, the 11th month (Nov) of 63....Ummm... not sure I buy that, but that's with the site said.....

I would doubt the veracity of that urban legend on the $1 note from series 1963A, since the Treasury Secretary whose signature appears on that series, Henry Fowler, wasn't named to that post until April of 1965, so the it was likely printed in 1965 or 1966.

Awww... comeon... you know that this is just another indication of a much bigger conspiracy....

The $1 bill printed to note when Kennedy would be assisinated... Aliens are in Roswell, we never made it to the moon - it was faked, the world is really flat....