• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obsolete Bank Notes

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, this is my 1st post. I joined a membership with PMG a few months ago primarily so that I could send off a couple notes to be graded. 1 of my notes is just fine ($500 grover cleveland) & I have all the info I need (Friedberg #).

The other 4 notes, however, I have discovered to be a little more difficult. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with the info I need, or let me know if I'm stressing over nothing.

The other 4 notes, are obsolete bank notes. I will attach pix. So I need some sort of "catalog number" or serial number for the grading form. From what I've gathered, obsolete bank notes are tracked with the "haxby numbering" system....but I can't seem to find anything online about it. Or how i would come up with the numbers for my notes. The only thing I can find, is a book for like $300-$400 to purchase online. But that's obviously quite a lot of $$$ that hopefully I can avoid if possible. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the numbers would be for my notes, or if I would be able to just send the notes for grading, without a catalog number. Any help is much appreciated,

-- Shaun

The one thing about obsoletes is that many have pretty neat designs and they are not very expensive. However, one may want to concentrate on a specific area (geographic, theme or otherwise) otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to put together a cohesive collection. Another area to consider might be confederate as most are affordable and they are an interesting part of our history.