• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone help with a small size note question?

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I mostly collect large size notes, but I have an accumulation of small size notes, many of which I saved from circulation. So I finally organized them and put them in a spreadsheet and looked them up in my new 9th edition of the Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money. There were a few worth some money, but as expected most were worth maybe a little more than face.

Until I got to one $2 legal tender note. The note in question is a series 1928D United States Note, serial number B99092757A. From what the book says, the low serial number is B83988001A and the high is B99999999A, which my note falls between, and it further says the value in VF is $1,000! I know price guides are inflated, but the other inflated prices are like $15 for a VF, not a grand!

So, is this some sort of scarce note? Is it worth something considerably more than the other deuces it shares a band with? Any insights would be appreciated!

Either you are mis-reading the book, or the book is in error, or ???. Suggest you scan the page of the reference that you are referring to. A 1928-D $2 Red Seal is a common note and retails for under $60 in VF.

After doing a little more research, the non-mule notes of the B-A block are extrememly rare and go for several hundred to over $1,000. The mule notes have back plates of 288 or lower, while the non-mules have back plates of 289-294. Unfortunately mine is a mule with a back plate of 288 (so close!) and it probably only worth a slight premium to the more common C-A and D-A blocks.