• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WWII Invasion Notes

4 posts in this topic

Hi all. I normally hang out on the CGC boards and saw a nice thread about Pearl Harbor Rememberance books and it joggled my memory on American WWII invasion notes. My father had a bunch of these notes from his days in the Merchant Marines cruising the pacific and thought I'd try to find out some info on these notes.

I'm curious exactly what countries these notes were used for and if they are US issued. I think it's obvious that the bottom 3 are Netherlands and looks like issued by the American Bank Note CO. What were these doing in the Pacific?

InvasionMoney1.jpg

InvasionMoney2.jpg

All of the notes you show were issued in the Dutch East Indies (modern Indonesia). The first four were issued by the Japanese during their occupation of the islands. The last two were issued by the Dutch government for the islands after liberation. Only the last two were printed by ABNC.