• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How margins effect grading

4 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 1899 $2 Silver Certificate (mini porthole) graded PMG 40 , when I recieved the note the top left margin looked from the front as if the margin had been trimmed , yet no remarks of such on the holder. My question , how much do bad margins on an otherwise nice looking note have on grading.

Sunfire,

There are several factors contributing to the final grade with eye appeal being one of them. Margins are part of the eye appeal, so they are always considered.

Dana, please correct me if I have this wrong. In the grading process I believe one aspect such as margins hold more weight for some types of notes vs another type like Nationals. Where Nationals were hand cut with poor margins newer small size notes are machine cut and should have better margins; therefore the margins on small size carry more weight but are only one of a number of things to consider when grading.