• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paper used to print Emergency notes

3 posts in this topic

I've just spent some time looking at Unc $1 N. Africa and Unc $1 Hawaii notes trying to see if there was any difference in the paper used to print them. I could see a number of slight color changes in the paper from note to note; it was not as consistent as a new pack today which I would expect to see.

There seemed to be an illusion of brighter paper with the N. Africa, I'm assuming blue and yellow looks cleaner than brown. Can you tell me if the paper was or was not the same between the two types for $1, $5, and $10s?

Still trying to learn something new every day; thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Although these issues had slightly different printing processes (Seal & S/N color, Hawaii has overprint on back, N. Africa does not), the paper used for each was the same. These issues were printed quickly during the war, so they were not all stored the same and may have slight variations in color as you suggested.

Thanks Chad, This question came up amongst a group of collectors and I thought I'd try to look into it myself. I was having a tough time trying to figure this out, particularly with most of my notes being in holders so there was no way to get the feel of the paper. What I could do was not good enough for a definitive answer; I figured if anyone knew it would be you.

Again, thanks,

Bill