• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to store currency

11 posts in this topic

I have recently been picking up pieces of MPC currency lately and was curious about how to store them. A local guy said to put them in books to flatten them out but it doesn't seem to pass my common sense test. What is the best way to store currency and should you try to flatten them or is it like coin cleaning and best to leave them "as is"?

Thanks for the link but doesn't answer the question about how to store raw currency. They key point I am asking is shoudl I unfold the corners and try to flatten them if they are not flat? (i.e. putting them in a bible or encyclopedia)

hm Nobody offers a pressing service for paper money? In the comic industry, some people send their books away to be professionally pressed. This process is done with humidy, heat and pressure. With the grade being a huge factor in terms of value, a book that was worth $1000 could easily be worth $10,000 after a press.

Let me chime in here....do NOT flatten them. A natural paper wave shows originality and is what collectors want to see --- unless it is a lower grade (below XF).

I suggest you put your notes in a plastic currency holder (available at most dealer or online). They don't cost much -- many dealers will give you one at no cost.

After that, just store it in a moisture free area.

It's pretty much as simple as that.

Hope this helps.

If you have a low grade (and inexpensive) note, and want to "press" it.....here is what I have done -- but try it on a common note in your wallet first, and there are no guarantees and you risk a chance of ruining it (it could tear or simply fall apart) But at your own risk this is what you might try:

1) Soak it in distilled water so that it is completely saturated.

2) Carefully with your fingers unfold any folds.

3) Support it a way it can dry without sticking to anything.

4) After it is completely dry, you can try additional pressing in a book. But make sure it is completely dry before you do this.

Again, this is a method for lower grade, low value notes bearing in mind they may fall apart during the process.

Hope this helps.

hm Nobody offers a pressing service for paper money? In the comic industry, some people send their books away to be professionally pressed. This process is done with humidy, heat and pressure. With the grade being a huge factor in terms of value, a book that was worth $1000 could easily be worth $10,000 after a press.

You are comparing 'apples to oranges.' if you press currency you lose EPQ, the natural paper quality. This is a designation that PMG adds to notes and can and does add value to notes. I will only collect high grade notes with EPQ. In the comic book hobby, pressing, as stated on your own forum, cannot be detected. Please do not start a 'pressing' thread here, as they are two separate and unique collectibles. I have comic books long sent to CGC that were left under a stack of other books. I commonly refer to these high grade gems as the 'naturally pressed' collection of comics. I would never buy a pressed piece of currency, as it is easy to tell if a piece of currency was manipulated just due to the way it was printed and the kind of paper used. I would happily buy a high grade pressed comic book...

Just my two cents...

By the way Joey, I never had a chance to contact you about my incredible hulk annual 1. I was considering pressing it, but it is a square bound.is this possible? I never had a comic book professionally pressed, but I am sure I own several due to how common it is in the marketplace...

Thanks again...