• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help if possible

5 posts in this topic

I could explain the differences, but it would probably take a couple of pages to do it....... a few pictures would be a lot simpler, and easier to understand, but unfortunately I do not have the faintest idea of how to post pictures on this site........ (I am new here too).

Basically though, fr-16a is the only rare one....... fr-16 is quite common, and fr-16b and 16c are newly recognized offshoots of fr-16...... both are very trivial variants however, but the gold diggers are out in force with both of these new sub varieties with great hype about how rare they are...... actually, in the very near future, folks will discover that neither of them is anything other than common, and those people who are duped into paying a premium over fr-16 prices for these notes based on dealer hype will soon regret it.

This all has to do with the green 'patent date' of the green underprint (or lack thereof) and which side of "Act of July 11th 1862" the series number is on.

If you are interested in an investment, 16a in any grade is desirable, but the other three are not....... FR-17a is the most common $1 note, while FR-17 is by far the rarest of all 1862 $1 notes followed by FR-16a..... (I sure wish I could post some pictures for you).

Okay, I 'think' that I have figured out how to upload pictures, and if I thought you were still around, I would take the time to point out the differences with some close-ups...... here are FR-16a and FR-17 (just to practice my new found uploading skills).

To the best of my knowledge, there are about twenty FR-16a known to exist, and about seven or eight FR-17.

This FR-17 is the 3310th $1 bill issued by the United States Government.

File0052.jpg

1862.jpg