• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Military Payment Certificate (series 691 & 701)

5 posts in this topic

Toured the Army Finance Corps museum today and snapped these pictures and thought I would share. I do have a question for the forum though, does anyone know about how many of these have "escaped" and are out on the open market? I planned on picking the museum curators brain today but he wasn't in at the time. I will catch him later I guess.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

I am wondering if there is more locked up in storage or if this is all they have at the museum.

Jim, all they had was $20's at the museum, but that have a ton of them. This is from the museum curator:

"The two series of unissued Military Payment Certificates (MPC) were Series 691 and Series 701. The US Army held these two series until 1991, when the US Treasury demonetized (voided) both series.

At the time, the US Army Finance Center at Ft Ben Harrison held the

entire collection. The Finance Center transferred the collection to the Center of Military History and the US Army Finance Corps Museum by 1993; which in turn

moved it to a holding facility at Anniston, Alabama.

The Federal Government has never officially issued or released either of these two series, but there are small quantities that have "leaked" into the collector's hands.

If you are persistent, you can find Series 691 and Series 701 for auction on various sites."

Mr. Henry D. Howe, III

Curator, US Army Finance Corps Museum

Started an information page for MPC's. I know there are a few out there, but this a way that I can both keep information handy as well as catalog my collection as I build it. It is very time consuming though just to get what I have scanned in. It is going to take at least a few more weeks to get to a semi-complete state. Fortunately I have to put a new roof on my house so I won't be adding to my collection anytime soon... :tonofbricks:

My MPC page