• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New too the forum

25 posts in this topic

Hello! I collect small size notes. Only graded notes from PCGS or PMG. My collection is all over the place right now but my main focus is WWII Hawaii notes. I have mainly focussed on the $1 denomination thus far but will be moving onto some of the higher denominations soon. I'm having a hard time finding anything to add to the collection lately. I still need the YB, FC, AC and * notes to complete the set. I'm finding it quite a bit more difficult to find a YB block note to add to my collection than I thought it would be.

Welcome to the forum ZES. I go back and forth between 3 different currency forums, and this one (PMG) is traditionally the slowest.....good members, just not real busy. What condition notes (WWII) do you collect and/or are looking for ? I have an extra Y-B, but all of mine are uncirculated, (64EPQ and 65EPQ). The notes you still need are the 3 toughest (most expensive) ones in the one dollar denomination. Good luck with your collecting ZES.

I'm looking to get ahold of one of the few 67's or 68 for the YB block, The YB and FC block notes should be within my monetary means but the AC and star notes will probably be out of reach for awhile. The problem has been finding the right note.

What is the 3rd currency forum you frequent, other than this or the pcgs board?

Hello,

ZES. Welcome to the forums. I have a few 'emergency notes,' but mainly focus on large size notes in high grade. I will say that you are building a great collection, as in my opinion, most 'emergency notes' are undervalued; not to mention they have a great history behind them as well...

Sincerely,

Mintcollctor

ZES, Welcome to the Paper Money forum!

With some personal debate, I just recently sold my only Hawaii emergency note - a 1934A $5 PMG 55 LA Block. I purchased the note ungraded a little over a year ago when I thought I was going to collect the set. Ended up not going that direction and focused on the Fractionals instead.

Welcome to this quiet little neighborhood! I just got a Hawaii note today, it's an SC block, so nothing terrible rare.

The SC block was my first purchase. Its a good place to start if you like these notes because they are pretty easy to come by in higher grades for not a lot of money.

Mintcollector,

You have probably seen my notes on the other paper money forum. I am "racecap97" over there. Many of you have probably seen me post there as well if you frequent that forum as well. I just joined this one for something a little new and to meet some new collectors that don't go there.

ZES, Welcome to the Paper Money forum!

With some personal debate, I just recently sold my only Hawaii emergency note - a 1934A $5 PMG 55 LA Block. I purchased the note ungraded a little over a year ago when I thought I was going to collect the set. Ended up not going that direction and focused on the Fractionals instead.

I haven't ventured into the fractionals "as of yet" but do find some of them quite interesting. I have recently sold off about half of my collection to gain funds for more emergency notes if the right note comes up for sale. I have also thought pretty hard about putting together a small size type set while i'm waiting for more emergencies to strike my fancy. I really like the small size gold certs as well and think it would be pretty cool to put together a denomination set of those.

One of my emergency notes is graded PCGS 67 and I think it would cross to the same grade from PMG. I am thinking of doing so since all of my other Hawaii notes happen to be graded PMG notes as well. I want to see what else I can pick up before doing so though. If they happen to be PMG notes as well it would be cool to put them up on the registry. I just don't want to spend a bunch of extra money crossing notes that could be spent on aquiring more notes for the collection.

Welcome Zes,

You're collecting some of the notes I love. The last time I looked there has not been an A-C or Z-B graded in a PMG 67 holder. For some notes a person has to settle for a lower grade if you want it in a holder. I'm guessing that only 25% of notes are graded so you never know what may surface tomorrow.

For some ideas on putting a collection together take a look at the registry sets. For Emergency notes they broke them into two basic categories, Hawaii and N. Africa and there are four different ways to build a set of each.

I got hooked building a registry set because it gave me an idea of what to collect and a goal to reach.

Zes, I missed the part where you mentioned your username accross the street, racecap97; lol. Did you chose your user name here by using your initials? To keep it simple that's all I did.

Hi ZES....... I noticed the quietness here also (I too am new)..... maybe we "Z"s can shake things up a bit (within forum restrictions of course).

My 'guess' would be that the FC notes will be the toughest.... other than appearance, the FC blocks have very little in common with the rest of the WWII issues...... The term "emergency notes" is a bit of a misnomer as well, as they were not issued as such...... the 'real' emergency notes were printed more than a decade earlier.

So far, I am likin' it here..... hope you will as well.

Hi Bill,

Yep I just used my initials here. I would like to just be able to change my username to my initials at "the other place" as well but I don't think its really worth it. I used racecap97 as my user name because it was once part of my email address. I chose that at the time because 79pacecar was already taken wherever it was that I was trying to register at the time. (I had a 79 mustang pace car replica).

As for the AC block, i'd have to pick up a pcgs 67 note and hope it crossed for a registry set here. I wasn't sure if PMG had graded an FC that high either.

Hi ZES....... I noticed the quietness here also (I too am new)..... maybe we "Z"s can shake things up a bit (within forum restrictions of course).

My 'guess' would be that the FC notes will be the toughest.... other than appearance, the FC blocks have very little in common with the rest of the WWII issues...... The term "emergency notes" is a bit of a misnomer as well, as they were not issued as such...... the 'real' emergency notes were printed more than a decade earlier.

So far, I am likin' it here..... hope you will as well.

The FC block most definatly won't be the hardest to come by. I did pass up on one a couple years ago that I almost wish I would have picked up. The price was a bit much though. I haven't seen it come back up for sale since then. What do you mean when you say the FC blocks have very little in common with the rest? Are you referring to them being sheet only notes?

What were the "real" emergency notes you were referring too?

The FC block most definatly won't be the hardest to come by.

You might want to guess again there Z........ consider this:

As far as printings go, there were 204k Hawaii stars....... 144k North Africa stars..... but only 12k each of the FC blocks.

While all stars and other blocks were intended for use in their respective foreign theaters of operation by US service members, the FC blocks were printed for stateside patriots who wanted to own examples of this currency that our troops overseas were using...... as such, the vast majority of examples that you will encounter today will be in CU condition, and will demand a sizable premium over all other blocks.

The emergency money that I refer to is the 1929 Federal Reserve Bank Note that was printed in a big hurry in March 1933 using 1929 National Bank Note design plates that were already on hand..... ever wonder why the 1929 National Bank Note and the 1929 Federal Reserve Bank Note are so distinctly similar in appearance?

Hmmm...... Printed in March of 1933...... any idea why?

What your saying about the FC block notes makes perfect sense on paper, however.............its like the 2004A $10 atlanta stars, they had a super low "sheet" printing of 9600 and can be found in high grade EVERYWHERE, compared to the 1st run San Fran star of the same series where there were something like 128,000 of them printed and released into circulation. The FC Hawaii notes aren't that hard to find because most of them were saved. Consider this if you will, compare a pcgs or pmg graded FC block to an AC, ZB, or star note with the same grade from lets say 64 up to 67 if available and you will find that any of those notes will be a lot more expensive than the FC notes. Because the FC notes are easier to aquire in those grades. I don't have access to pop reports from either grading company but I would have to assume that you will probably find more FC blocks in those grades than the others as well. Of course I could be way off base here.

As for the FRBN's, I can't say much there I don't follow those very closely.