• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is Security Currency Grading?

5 posts in this topic

I found a note that I am interested in purchasing in a Security Currency Grading holder. Who is SCG? Are/were they reputable? I couldn't find them using a Google search and wanted to know if currency in their holders could be trusted.

It is likely that I will take the note out of the holder and send it to PMG, but I want a level of comfort before I buy something via the Internets.

THANKS!

Scott

I have never heard of the company you speak of; however I would be leery...

Almost anyone can make a holder for a piece of currency, seal it with a 'unique' label and call themselves an expert. In business, this means that the barrier to entry is fairly low. Personally I would not trust their grading without hearing from other buyers or being able to see a note in hand.

Right now only PMG and PCGS have FULL collector confidence...

Based on the images sent, the note may be properly graded (a colonial note). I may take a chance then send it to PMG and see what happens. It is being offered at less than book value!

Thanks!

Scott

Let me know how this works out for you. One thing I learned is that a lot of times when someone tries to 'cross' grade a note from one TPG to another, the issue becomes not only about the grade, but also whether you can still retain original paper quality (PMG calls this EPQ).

This can be quite coveted by collectors and is in some cases almost important as the grade...

I bought this note on condition that I could examine it and return it if I didn't like what I saw. The note had a tear that was not apparent in the image. I used my return option on this one. I didn't think it was worth the cost.

Thanks for asking!

Scott