• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collector base for Nationals?

3 posts in this topic

I am new to currency but have been a collector of coins for years. During that time, I have run into currency collections and did so again just recently. My question is about Nationals... how large is the collector base by city, county, state. etc. Seems like there are so many different issues from so many different banks that the collecting options are almost unlimited. If you invest into paper money, when time comes to sell, how easy is it to sell National Bank Notes vs. other forms of currency?

Hello,

I may be able to help answer this, but note that I am somewhat of a newbie myself. The collector base of Nationals is generally governed by regions. Some regions of the market are hotter than others at different times. In the past decade, thanks to the cencus, and third party grading, National collecting has really taken off.

I would recommend that you buy the book by Don Kelly. He has compiled a book, price guide, and census CD on Nationals; and it may answer most of your questions. You can buy the book on eBay or directly from Don's own website, but make sure it comes with the CD!

I should caution you that the book can cost between $69-$79 depending on where you buy it, but if you are starting to collect Nationals, you can't collect without the book. I hope this info helps...