• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will PMG accept PCGS currency?

6 posts in this topic

I've been a member of the collector's society for a few years now and have six sets on the coin side with both NGC and PCGS coins. Why doesn't PMG accept PCGS certified currency? Is there any plan to accept them in the future? Thanks, Mike.

Mike,

PMG does not accept PCGS graded notes in our registry because the grading scales are slightly different. We do not grade notes 65 or better without the EPQ designation. PCGS has grades of 65 and higher that do not have PPQ. These notes, if graded by PMG, would receive a max grade of 64 no EPQ. Due to this difference, we do not combine the services in our registry.

I don't believe the potential grade reduction outweighs the benefit of having the inventory and tracking information. My currency collection is pretty limited and concentrates on colonial notes, so notes at the 65 and above grade are extremely rare. The impact on modern notes would be more significant and common, but I'd vote for adding PCGS notes for all of the other registry benefits. Thanks, Mike.

Am I the only one who doesn't agree with this? I think PCGS and PMG currency should be kept separately. Some people actually take the risk and time to 'cross grade' items from one company to another; strictly for this purpose. I only think that PMG or PCGS should get something out of this if they accept your note (note graded by them) in their registry...

Just an opinion...

I somewhat agree with Shawn, (mintcollector) on this discussion, altho I would benefit tremendously in registry sets because of having many of both PMG & PCGS graded notes. However, I do see very slight grading differences between both of these TPG's, and keeping them exclusive, keeps BRAND LOYALTY intact.

Not all TPG notes cross exactly to grade.