• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Embossing without EPQ???

12 posts in this topic

I think embossing is only one factor in determining EPQ, the whole point is that the paper condition is superb and original. So you might have great embossing, but another issue that wouldn't indicate the paper was in that original condition that is a requisite for the EPQ designation.

This would be a good question for the Ask PMG section!

I think embossing is only one factor in determining EPQ, the whole point is that the paper condition is superb and original. So you might have great embossing, but another issue that wouldn't indicate the paper was in that original condition that is a requisite for the EPQ designation.

This would be a good question for the Ask PMG section!

I already called PMG on the phone, as I was thinking of buying a note that has Great Embossing noted on the label, but was graded long before EPQ came along. They stated it could go either way and I may have to resubmit the not for further inspection (i.e. regrade, not just reholder). Don't know if I want to take the risk...

Hello,

I appreciate all the feedback, and I also posted this question on 'another forum' as well. I did have at least one person give me their honest opinion on the item at hand, and after a long thought, I may wait to buy it, as it could go either way, and number one, the price isn't that great; therefore if I took the risk, it really isn't worth it to me. This is not to say that this isn't a great note, but I trust the people who looked over it and they said that if one of the 'dots' that are shown just happen to be a pinhole (which is possible), there goes my EPQ...

Therefore, I have put this purchase on 'hold.' I cannot expect the dealer (who is VERY ethical) to take any risk once I buy it, if I would resubmit the note to PMG. I would much rather buy a note that I would be happy with than regret the purchase and risk my relationship with this dealer who has helped me a lot in the past.

It was a hard decision, but I know I can get this note anywhere as it is popular, but NOT rare...

Can "Great Embossing" be on the holder without EPQ?

The answer is yes. As some of you mentioned, embossing is one of many factors. It should be noted that many things contribute to the EPQ attribution, so embossing does not go hand in hand with EPQ. It is very possible to have good embossing without receiving EPQ. One example would be if a note had a stain on it but was still original otherwise. Thanks for all the input everyone. A very good question.