• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book recommendation?

8 posts in this topic

I mostly collect comics but have some graded currency that I bought from Ebay. What is a good book recommendation for someone just starting out collecting currency?

I'm confused by all the different bills that are out there - federal reserve notes, silver notes, legal tender, obsoletes, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

For all the Small Size notes that you asked about, I would recommend the following books.

Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money 1928-Date 9th Edition and it runs about $25.00 or so.

It is the most curent edition but will not give you Obsoletes. Obsoletes are a different animal all together and is usually collected by state, so there are many different books out there.

However, the United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 book by James Haxby is a great reference for all states but may not have 100% of each state in it. It runs about $225.00 or so and I think it comes on CD as well.

There is also a (4) book Haxby set that covers all states, but it runs about $1000.00 or so.

How does this book compare to prices actually realized? I'm guessing that a lot of stuff sells for less than guide on sites like eBay, unless you've got some of the really good notes, then they'll sell close to guide and sometimes above guide. Am I close? :shrug:

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ordered the Standard Guide, and also bought "100 Greatest American Currency Notes: The Stories Behind The Most Colonial, Confederate, Federal, Obsolete, and Private American Notes". It looks like it will be a cool book to look through and read.

I would be hesitant spending $225 on a Haxby book unless it has up to date prices. You need to refer to Dealer Price lists in publications like BNR or look at Don C Kelly's website. Denly has some obsoletes at his website too. I used to use publications put out by Hugh Schull to price obsoletes as many of the currency dealers bought from him and I considered his prices more of a wholesale at that.

Like Nationals, pricing obsoletes can take some homework.

I do think the Standard Catalog of US Paper Money is a fine reference. My favorite area is Nationals, especially uncs from scarce banks.