• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver & Gold Cert. question

5 posts in this topic

My uncle knows an elderly lady that is finally looking at her deceased husbands collection. Supposedly there are lots and lots of old coins but there are also some Silver and Gold certificates. Are these of much value? Just certain ones? I know alot depends on condition, but he called me and asked me about them but I don't know much! Any info would help me better understand them. I'm hoping to be able to check out the coins next month. She has some money hungary relatives that have been trying to lowball her for the collection. Thanks all!

Gold certificates are always worth a premium, some more than others. Silver certificates really can vary a lot, with common series 1957 circulated notes worth barely over face, but large size notes can be worth a lot more, like the 1896 educational series.

If you are able to post info, the most important data to get are series date for small size notes as well as special serial numbers/features (i.e. star notes, Hawaii or North Africa notes), and for large size, get the series date and the names of the two signers as that is key to determining scarcity and value.

If you could post pics that would be cool. I can help with the golds. I know what to look for to help you get as much as possible for them. BA blocks sell for a little more, * notes alot more, and there is a minor error on some (missing face plate #) if they are from the 1928 series. She's smart not letting any of them buy them til she knows what she has. If you would like more help or have any questions PM me

-Tom