• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice on 1902-1924 National Currency

6 posts in this topic

John,

Your ancestors were good to you. According to Kelly's price guide the Chartered 2752 are all 1902 Plain Backs and there is 22 Large notes reported. In fine condition they are valued at $750 each. All look in au to unc condition which IMO would be valued at $1500 to $2500 EACH. It is very rare to find 1902 PB in those condition. There might be Montana collectors that would pay much more than that. The $20 Charter 12536 has 0 reported and I would think it could easily go for $5000 to $10,000. Feel free to email me at deanheard@att.net.

The $20 Charter 12536 has 0 reported

So he has the only one known AND it's the Number 1 note as well! Would make me suspect that the $20's with Charter 12536 may have never been issued and his great grandfather kept the #1 note as a souvenir.

Personal opinion but John I think you should keep the notes. Yes the money may be nice (and you should probably get an accurate appraisal and insure them) but you sell them and spend the money and in a little while the money is gone, not too long after what ever you spent it on is gone and you are back where you are now but you no longer have that great historical family heirloom from your great grandfather, the founder of the bank. (Think about it, you wouldn't have it if your father or grandfather had decided to run out and sell them so they could spend the money.)

I agree with Conder about not selling it. What an heirloom to pass to your children or even better yet donating it to a Museum in Miles Montana would be awesome. If you sell them some deep pocket collector will put them away for his heirs.