• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To get graded or not....

7 posts in this topic

Hi all...

Newbie here....

Anyways. I have recently aquired a 1934 Dallas $500.00 FRN in VF20-30(VF20 is extremely conservative, no tears, no pinholes, 1 center fold line 2 very light other folds only noticable in scan) condition, but raw and uncertified.....

This particular bill has a low SN K00006xxxA...

My dealer, who I have only dealt with in coin says... "It's VF, I wouldn't get it graded, its a waste of money"...

I almost felt like he was hoping I would ask to sell it to him, but plaing it close to the vest.. maybe just paranoid.

But I would think that in the pop report there are only 22 of these graded, the least amount of this set.

So what would the concensus be, get graded or not get graded?

Anyways I am very new to this and have just started collecting coinage, but this is my 1st bill (picked it up @ face value BTW at a bank no less)....

Thanks all...

this is my 1st bill (picked it up @ face value BTW at a bank no less)....

That is surprising since by law once they come into the bank they are not allowed to pay them back out. They MUST be returned to the Fed for destruction.

I'm a smooth talker....

Oh and telling them you are going to hold your breath till you get what you want doesnt hurt either...

When I came too after passing out I had the bill in hand. :0

The folds in the note do add injury to the paper. I tend to agree with the VF grade although it is sight unseen. You will need to look for edge damage, corner folds and teller handling marks on the note as well!

For $30 I see no harm in getting it graded. Find a dealer you trust and ask him to submit it for you unless you want to pay the membership fee! Then you would be paying too much to have it graded.

Good luck and post some images...

RickieB