• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paper Newbie....

3 posts in this topic

Hey all... I've been collecting coins for quite some time and I recently purchased an estate collection of coins that came with a notebook full of old US currency. Intrigued, I bought the Black Book and started doing some reading on the bills that I now have.

I have decided on a few to send in for certification that I will end up selling at a later date... can you please give me your thoughts on these bills and if they are worth the grading?

1. Hall & Sellers 1775 7 dollars (backed by Seven Spanish milled dollars) I also happen to have 7 Spanish Milled Dollars (Pieces of 8)... interesting... should I sell them as a package?

2. James Adams Jan 1st 1776 5 Shillings

3. $1 Series 1899 below Blue Serial #, Blue Seal Lyons & Treat, in really good condition... I might end up keeping this one

4. $1 Series 1917 Speelman & White... I would guess grade as Fine as well

5. $2 Series 1917 Speelman & White... I would guess grade as Fine

I have never graded currency so I'm just trying to get approx. grades down using common sense and my experince in coin collecting.

I also have also started paying attention to my more modern currency looking for serial numbers and star notes. I have several and I'm wondering if they are worth keeping...

1. $100 Series 1996 Serial AL 00996989* in about AU condition

2. $100 Series 1996 Serial AB 85882888R also in about AU condition (anything special about these serial numbers)?

3. $100 Series 2006 Serial HB 88889271C in uncirculated... anything special about this serial number?

and I have some $20s & $5s with star serial numbers all in about AU-XF condition.

Thanks all....hope I don't sound too stupid!