• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between grading services?

4 posts in this topic

About ten years ago I started a small currency collection then let it lapse. Last week I took my nephew, the nascent coin collector, to a local show. His interest in coins has renewed my interest in currency (plus I'm better off financially now so I can afford more/better items). I bought two items: A 1934 $5 lime FRN and a $20 brown Hawaii note.

I'd like to get some graded notes for reference on currency grades but I see there's several different companies. With comics (my main interest) it's easy: you go with CGC and avoid the competition. Is there any significant differences with the currency grading companies? Are there ones to avoid and ones to look for? Any information on respective reputations? Feel free to PM me with opinions to avoid any flame wars or unnecessary controversy.

There's a certain dealer who touts CGA as the best of the best. Don't believe it for a second. He is closely related to CGA and could be considered a self-slabber.

As already mentioned, you cannot go wrong with PMG and PCGS. RCGS is also an accurate grader but their market acceptability is not as good.