• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhode Island Continental Currency

2 posts in this topic

I thought that I might like to add an example of RI continental currency (being a Rhode Islander) to my just begining paper money collection. I know nothing about U.S. currency except that I have the "standard catalogs" by Krause Publications.

Every time I see a decent example on sale on E-Bay (I did bid on one at Heritage and was blown out of the water very quickly), I match it up with "catalog value". Since I am looking for a certified example (VF is ok), the auction prices start out at at least double the catalog values. How accurate are the catalogs in determining value for this type of thing and what impact to the price does certification have?

Thanks for the input!

RI AL

Hi Al,

You should be able to pick up a graded common 1780 or 1786 issue note for around $175(if you're pretty lucky) to $250-300(if you want it right away) in unc without too much trouble. Finding a graded note in vf or ef will probably be a little tougher only because there's not much reason to be sending in a note to be graded that wouldn't be at least unc., as you wouldn't recoup the extra grading fee when you went to sell it. For the earlier issues the book prices are way under the true market values of today. Certification really doesn't have any impact on the price for the 1780/86 series notes until you get to a 65 or higher grade.