• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suffix question.

5 posts in this topic

This question recently came up at my coin club and went unanswered..

"Hi guys,


I have been seeking information on what this symbol means and what its name.


I am referring to the prefix < with a line at the center and the suffix > with a line at the center. These two symbols are usually seen on US-PI Silver Certificates, BPI notes and early US notes. Somebody told me that it is called a sickle or a crescent because it looks like one.


Could somebody share his/her knowledge with this inquiry? Thank you...sarimanok628"

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! ~ Jim


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting question and post!

From what I have found out, the symbol is merely a form of bracket used by several Banknote engraving companies to end the SN sequence of that era and note series.

I have exhausted the internet trying to find out the name of this font type and symbol. Looking at the ABNC archives might yield some information but nothing yet...I am still looking!! doh!




Link to comment
Share on other sites