• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't All 2006 Series $5 Be Purple?

5 posts in this topic

I was under the impression that the colorization of the $5 bill was starting with the 2006 series, and that the 2003 A series was the last to be the old color.

However, I just picked up a stack of 100 $5s from the bank to sort through, and I found several 2006 series NON-COLORED notes.

Was I mistaken? Or did I actually find some sort of mistake by the BEP?

I made a thread on this a couple weeks ago, and the BEP actually produced about 40 million non colored series 2006 $5 notes and last I checked they were selling for a premium in unc. I have only one, so if you want to get rid of any let me know!

I made a thread on this a couple weeks ago, and the BEP actually produced about 40 million non colored series 2006 $5 notes and last I checked they were selling for a premium in unc. I have only one, so if you want to get rid of any let me know!

Sorry, I missed your thread! And also sorry, I actually ended up selling them back to the bank. As I went through my collection, I found that I already had 2 or 3 series 2006 $5s that were non-colored, and the prefix before the serial number was different (H instead of I, I think), so I figured it was a valid "sub-series".

But, if you want, I can let you know if I get any more.

That would be great, thanks! Also, the BEP has been doing other odd things with series lately, like the new $2 bills for collectors are still series 2003A, but this time with Cabral-Paulson, while the other series 2003A had Cabral-Snow. So in one instance we have a complete design change with no change in series, and in another we have a new Treasury Secretary with no change in series, both extremely unusual. Perhaps the BEP intends on cranking up the presses to let big Ben Bernanke actually drop fednotes from helicoptors like he said!