• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with identifying this note!

8 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a short snorter of WW II - Korean War vintage. It contained a very strange note. It was a tissue paper thin (like onion skin) with the familiar view of Monticello as on the reverse of a $2 note. However, the other side was completely blank except for short snorter signatures. Aside from there being no front, the size, color, and quality of the printing indicated a genuine note.

Anyone have an idea of what this is.

I suspect that what you have is a "split note." This works only on fairly well-used banknotes. When I was a kid, my friends and I learned you could take a used note, and by starting at the corner, using a pin and picking at its edge, split the note into two uniface halves -- similar to skinning a rabbit. It takes several hours, but if you have a lot of time on your hands it can be done. This leaves each half "rice-paper thin" and uniface. We would play with them awhile, then glue the halves back together, usually topsy-turvey, and spend them. (Our other numismatic trick was to dip "white" 1943 pennies in a copper-sulfate solution to make "copper" pennies out of them.) Cheers, Bigdon

It sounds like your childhood was pre-TV. What you describe is what I suspected, but thought was impossible. I've never seen a note separating in the least; how did you get the idea? About your penny trick, I once did something similar. I dissolved down a penny in nitric acid until it was about the diameter of a dime, and then dipped it in mercury to create a "Lincoln-head dime". I then tried seeing how many friends would accept it, and finally used it in a vending machine.

Thanks for your explanation.

As I recall, a friend showed me how to split a banknote. I don't know where he learned to do it. It was a fad for a couple of weeks. Frankly, splitting the notes was such a chore, we got bored with it. I recall splitting maybe three or four banknotes. Two or three friends probably did about the same. And, yes, this was pre TV in the early 1950s.