• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Specimen notes

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at this 1947 romania note on eBay (seller's pic included). I was thinking how cool it would be to have a specimen note of such a large denomination.

I had to question why the english word "Specimen" is on a Romanian bill. I have a hard time believing these were really that popular in english speaking countries at the time.

Is this legit?

57535-1947ROMANIA1000000LEISPECIMEN042808.jpg.ebe809f1a6a2e30895665ce71cac8b49.jpg

It could have been a sample note produced to show the government how their money would look by someone like the American Banknote Company.

If anyone is interested, the 3rd auction of American Banknote Company archives are being sold by HR Harmer Auction Company in early June. You can find the online catalog on the HR Harmer website.

Scott :hi:

I certainly don't mind.

I would put your notes back in their holders before placing them on that little stand of yours. Doing this often is just asking for little marks/abrasions on the bottom of your note. Just my 2c

Andy

the main 2 i keep an eye out for are

american bank note company ( international bank note company i think now)

and

de la rue giori (thomas de la rue & company)