• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAWER - Just Learned there's a Lot More Modern $1 FRN Out There

7 posts in this topic

Darn Forth Worth, TX. I didn't realize it until I read a small line in the "Official Red Book" guide to US Paper Money.

Beginning with the Series of 1988-A, certain bills were printed in Fort Worth, Texas (known as the Western Facility), identified by a small FW on the face. In theory, for each new signature combination there could be 12 different varieties from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, plus 12 star note varieties, plus the same numbers from Fort Worth, yielding 48 different in total!

GRAWER!! Now I have to go through my $1 collection, find the FW ones, and begin searching for their non-FW counterparts (and vice-versa). :tonofbricks:

I don't think it's as bad as you believe, as I think only certain Fed branches were printed in FW, so most of the eastern ones were printed in DC, while the western ones were printed in FW, though there could be some overlap I suppose.

I think fw notes started from dist F to L and F was mostly dc not fw in 1988a . most F G and H have splits between dc and fw where to my knowledge I dont think my collection houses many I -L dist notes with the dc printing center.

Yeah, I've looked at the lists in that book and it's not quite as bad as I thought due to most being one or the other with maybe 0-6 overlaps per series, but ... it's not just $1, but all the current notes ($5, $10, $20, $50, $100).

The DC/FW printings from Series 1988-A on present a new frontier for modern FRN collecting. As a general rule, each facility has been responsible for mostly the same districts: DC usually prints 1-5 and FW prints 7-12; Atlanta seems to be split a lot. Nowadays, it is common to see specific denominations being printed only in one facility.

Some scarcities have arisen out of this printing structure, and any collector should make it worth his while to learn what they are. For instance, many of these scarce notes are a few runs from DC sandwiched in a full block from FW. Others are short end-blocks printed at a different facilty than the other blocks.

There are hidden treasures that can still be found for no premium at all.

Check this site for more information, www.uspapermoney.info. Choose "Block and Group Lists" from the main page.

That site's great! I have a headache and didn't quite understand all the information on the Blocks and Groups, but the Serial Number Ranges have all the series vs. banks vs. printing location to make a fairly comprehensive check-list. Guess I'll need to go to the bank and take out more straps of bills to sort through.