• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

18th Edition of Paper Money of the United States question

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

New to the site and new to collecting. Great investment hobby.

I have been reading the Friedberg's book and I had a question concerning the national banknote chapters.

At the bottom of each page in the chapters, they list State, No. of Banks and the grade Fine with values.

My guess is that although they list common values above on each page, that certain states and banks have lesser and higher values for the same grade?

As an example of what I think it is: On page 105, a FR 594 $5 note from anywhere in Wyoming is worth $1000 Fine, but most other notes from FR 590 to 597 are worth $250 Fine?

So if I were to buy that particular Wyoming note graded as Fine, generally that would be the book value?

Thanks.

Im sure there are better people here to address this but ill take a stab at it. The price of the note greatly depends on the rarity . Some banks in the state may have only 2 or 3 notes known while other banks in the state could have 50 to 100 notes known. Greatly lowering the price. Also demand of the note ( like a famous town from a movie or something might yield a little more. But mostly depends on the amount of notes known for a bank and also if its a large or small size notes. some banks released more for one size more than the other.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I agree with what you posted and I understand, but I was hoping to get an answer as to if I am interpreting the columns below the line in the book.

They are at the bottom of the page, not the apparent common values above it.

I read through the preface to the National Banknote Chapter, and I might of missed it, but I was looking for a explanation of those columns.

The best advice I could give would be pick up a copy of a book about nationals. Don C. Kelly comes to mind. His books are a very deep into all charters and prices. Yet Im not sure how to use the prices yet. But they will tell you how much of the $ is outstanding .