• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions on the new $5 note

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so a couple months ago, I put away what I thought was a series 2006 $5 FRN, had Cabral and Paulson signatures, but was not the new colorized design. Last night I checked one of the new purple $5s and thought it would be series 2008, but it was also series 2006, were there two different designs with the same date?

I did some searching on the BEP site, and apparently there are two different designs both series 2006, one the old style and one the new colorized. Apparently the old style ones are harder to find though the BEP apparently printed 26.5 million of them.

Jeff,

The series SHOULD HAVE changed on these notes. But the BEP defies convention. The major design change alone should have lead to a series change, but that did not happen. In order to maintain consistency within the "New Color of Money" series, these were dated 2006 as well as the new $10 note.

That's odd that it's dated 2006. Wikepedia states

"The redesigned $5 bill was unveiled on September 20, 2007, and was issued on March 13, 2008.

Aha, but then I look at the picture they are showing and it is dated 2006.

The reason for not changing the year has to do more with the signatures on the note than the design itself. Since the signatures didnt change they left it alone which is weird cause the 1988a to 1990 swap and the 1995 to 1996 changes sparked new series years even though the sigs didnt change. I guess this is partly why the prefixes that are on the notes now are so important??? going from H to I without changing the years. There was a whole article about this in last month's Paper values. I really wish the BEP just changed the years when the new year begins. and when the sigs change at all add a letter. Would make things so much simpler.

The reason for not changing the year has to do more with the signatures on the note than the design itself. Since the signatures didnt change they left it alone which is weird cause the 1988a to 1990 swap and the 1995 to 1996 changes sparked new series years even though the sigs didnt change. I guess this is partly why the prefixes that are on the notes now are so important??? going from H to I without changing the years. There was a whole article about this in last month's Paper values. I really wish the BEP just changed the years when the new year begins. and when the sigs change at all add a letter. Would make things so much simpler.

I was thinking of the switch from 1995 to 1996 on the $20 note as exactly the same situation. As for keeping all the years the same for the "color of money" that doesn't fly either as the $20 was the first and that was series 2004!

I was thinking of the switch from 1995 to 1996 on the $20 note as exactly the same situation. As for keeping all the years the same for the "color of money" that doesn't fly either as the $20 was the first and that was series 2004!

The reason for that would be for the signature change the same time as the color change. the 2001 had Marin/Oneill and the 2004 was Marin Snow with the 2004A being Cabal/Snow