• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Notes

9 posts in this topic

Please try and ignore my ignorance, as coins are what I normally play with. My local bank has a bunch of star notes that they have held for me. They range from $1 to $100 (no $2) in various degrees of condition. The dates are recent and common (1996, 1999, 2003), some are "A"'s, etc..

Is there any type of market for these or are they too common?

Thanks

Ron

My better half is the star note hoarder in our home . She keeps each and every one of them of any denomination ...which if she finds a 20 or higher in my cash change....let's just say my wallet gets a lot lighter fast. Go to a Books-a-Million or Borders or any other book store that has a magazine rack and find "Paper Money Values" as a cheap reference and price guide for these stars. Some date/district stars are worth significantly more than others as for their scarcity in any grade. The problem getting a lot of money for them at the time of sale is probably going to be the time to find a collector for them ....paper collectors are a slow bunch when it comes time to grab , but lately the paper money sector has picked up some speed at the major coin shows with upward movement starting to climb across the board , not just on older notes .

Might be a ground floor opportunity for your son to start assembling some nice star sets.

I've got a few in CU in every denomination and enjoy them as well , as a side-hobby to coins as well as my better half's sets.

-good luck and enjoy , John

I too am a star note hoarder, I build district sets including the stars! I just recently heard of a 2003 C-3Star $5.00 note! Its not even listed! Since its a new discovery I wonder how many are loose? The bundle I saw was for sale back in march at the expo show in chicago, I think it sold for $1400!!

I'm a hoarder. Unless I need the bills (which may happen), then if I see a star note, I keep it.

I tend to be the same way. My addiction goes kinda deep. If its an older style 1995 or earlier i pull it.If its a star I pull and if its a low , fancy or radar I pull. Its not like every note I take either surprisingly its only like 10 or 15$ a night when i close at my retail shop. Still nice to find something different in the tills.